Thursday, March 13, 2008

Mini Bike Commute

I rode my bike part of the way to work today. I had left the Tahoe at the Park and Ride near the Elephant Bar yesterday afternoon, and rather than go pick it up late last night, I decided to get up a little early and ride my bike down to where it was parked.

I knew most of the route was downhill, and thought it would be a fun break from my normal morning routine. I threw my computer, some slacks, a dress shirt, and my dress shoes in my backpack, and made it to the car with little trouble.

The whole thing has me thinking about how realistic it would be to commute all the way to work via bike. Right now, there are logistical issues, like the bike lane going onto the freeway between West Bernardo and Via Rancho Parkway, and the fact that I don't have a road bike. There's also the problem of getting sweaty and not having shower facilities at work. But its something I'd like to explore someday, depending on how I can work out the details.

Here are the stats:

Total Distance: 2.52
Total Time: 13:57
Ascent: 150 ft
Average Speed: 10.8 mph
Top Speed: 27.9 mph
Route Map: Not worth it
Bike: Specialized FSR XC Pro

No comments: