Saturday, February 16, 2008

RR: Anderson TT


I shuttled Anderson TT with Billy, Nate, and Joel this morning. We had planned to do Noble, but Thursday's rain and snow necessitated a change of plans. In fact, there was still a smattering of snow at the top of Anderson, but not enough to affect the trail, which was actually extremely dry. I'd heard Anderson is the best trail in San Diego after a rain, and that is apparently true.


I was surprised Billy was willing to shuttle, since he is one of those that had been strongly against it in the past, but I guess he's coming over to the dark side now...He said it was so that we could have more energy to enjoy the downhill sections, which made sense to me...

We started at the top and did World Cup this time instead of the fireroad we took on New Year's Eve. Today was a "play day," and we stopped often to survey several aggressive downhill sections. We tried a few of the smaller and easier ones, and marveled at most of the crazy ones. Near the middle Nate and I found a section we were willing to give a shot, and had several good runs and jumps.


On the last run at that section, I tried a different line and lost too much speed. I crashed sideways, and while the fall itself wasn't bad, when I got up my rear wheel wouldn't move. Upon inspection, I found that I had snapped my deraileur hanger. My second trip to Anderson TT, my second serious bike malfunction.

Billy did an impressive job of jury-rigging my bike into a singlespeed, and I was able to make it home thanks to his help and expertise. But once again, I was climbing out of Anderson without gears.


The rest of the ride was relatively fun, if uneventful. I enjoy the downhill, but as Joel put it later, I prefer the more sweeping, flowy cross-country riding than the crazy DH riding. All in all though, it was an enjoyable day. I had a feeling of accomplishment from the sections I was able to ride and jump, and escaped major injury. So I count today a success.

I also stopped at the spot where I endoed on my last trip here on New Year's Eve. Here are some pictures of the spot as it looks today:




We also had an enjoyable time of fellowship after the ride at Manana's #1 Mexican Restaurant nearby, which was delicious. I may have to check out Manana's #2 someday, wherever it is...

Here are the stats:

Total Distance: 6.89 miles
Total Time: 2:11:07
Ascent: 711 feet
Average Speed: 3.2 mph
Top Speed: 28.9 mph (pavement)
Bike: Specialized FSR XC Pro
Map:

View Larger Map

2 comments:

DougSully said...

Hey James,
My crew has always wanted to head out to ATT. Maybe we can hook up some time and you can show us around, eh?

Doug

DougSully said...

Hey James,
I added a link to your blog to my "Cool Links" section. If that's not OK with you, let me know and I'll take it down.

Stay in touch :-)

Doug