Wednesday, February 27, 2008

GR: Fox Sergeant MTB Shorts

In between ride reviews I have been meaning to do some brief "gear reviews" of stuff that I've bought for biking. At some point I intend to review my bike itself, my helmet, my sunglasses, and some of the other things that I have purchased. Today I wanted to post up some of my thoughts on my MTB shorts, the Fox Sergeants.

When I started biking, I just wore regular athletic shorts. Then I quickly switched to some lycra shorts that worked better, but didn't look so great. After that I went with the athletic shorts over the lycra, but that was bunchy and uncomfortable.

So around Christmas I was searching ebay for some deals on *new* MTB shorts that included a chamois. I found a local guy selling a pair of Fox Sergeant MTB shorts with a very low reserve. I was the only bidder, and ended up getting them for $40.00, about half of what they cost in a retail store. I picked them up from his house on Christmas eve, and had myself a pretty good Christmas present a day early.

I've worn them on every ride since, and have loved them. The chamois pad is amazingly comfortable and removable for washing. The length of the shorts is perfect, and the crotch don't get caught on my seat when leaning back while going downhill. They even have an adjustable waistband on the inside, which I learned on the Noble ride I need to adjust since I've lost a little weight lately.

In any event, I have nothing but good things to say about these shorts, and would strongly recommend them. They're comfortable, stylish, light, and have a great removable chamois. They even have a couple of nice sized cargo pockets I've kept my camera and some gel packets in on some recent rides. I'd like to get another pair, but can't justify the expense at the moment. Maybe for an Easter present...

The 2007 model, which is the one I have, is on sale right now at Price Point for only $59.99. While I admit that this is still expensive for a pair of shorts, its still a great deal and I think they're probably worth it.

No comments: