Saturday, February 23, 2008

Neighborhood Ride


Today I had a chance to do a short ride with my absolute favorite riding companion. While I enjoy riding with the Skyline crew, and often revel in the solitude of riding alone through God's Creation with just my thoughts, there is no one I'd rather ride with than my wife, Rachel.

She's new to biking, and she's spent the last several months getting herself into phenomenal shape by working out like crazy. She's not totally comfortable on her bike just yet, but with some more practice and experience, I have no doubt she'll have no trouble keeping up with my slow self very soon.

For the second time ever we rode the neighborhood trails that surround our home in 4S Ranch. The last time we did it Rach had just gotten her bike, and she blew me away with how well she did. This time was no different. After being gone for a week to visit family back East, I know she wasn't able to go as fast as she would have liked, but I could not have cared less. I just enjoyed being out there with her.

We left the house and rode down the local fireroad to some of those 8 foot wide dirt path trails that are so popular in these planned developments. And despite what some people say about these "trails," I had just as much fun today with Rach as when I go bombing through the Tunnels at LPQ. During our ride we saw a kid fishing from an innertube in the pond nearby, marveled at the gorgeous green fields that have exploded in the Santa Fe Valley, and were surprised by the waterfall created by recent rains into the canyon. It was awesome. We stopped in the middle at a bench with a great view of Black Mountain to the South, and the Santa Fe Valley to the West, and just basked in how blessed we are to live where we do and have what we have.

We had an amazing time enjoying our beautiful neighborhood and each other's company, and it made me feel great that she was willing to make an effort to enjoy a hobby that I love just to make me happy. Mission accomplished.

Here are the stats

Total Distance: 3.73 miles
Total Time: 58:29
Ascent: 344 feet
Average Speed: 3.8 mph
Top Speed: 17.4 mph
Route Map: Click Here for Google Map
Bike: Specialized FSR XC Pro

No comments: