Monday, March 17, 2008

GR: Shimano SH-M075 MTB Shoe

Here are a few of my thoughts on the shoes I'm currently wearing, the Shimano SH-M075 MTB shoes.

They're an entry level shoe, and are the first pair I've worn, so my basis for review is not a comparison, but just how they feel.

I bought them at Soul Cycles with a very thoughtful and generous gift certificate from Mom and Dad and Adam and Pamella.

Dave Merten installed the cleats on the shoes for me, which I appreciated.

I went with the entry level model both for price reasons and because I was not sure I would be sold on going clipless. I'd heard some horror stories, and had my own concerns about how often I crash already, and how being attached to the bike would affect me in any future crashes. But I had also heard that clipless increases pedaling efficiency, particularly when climbing, so I wanted to give it a shot.

Dave recommended the Sidis, but I was not ready to drop that kind of coin on shoes, particularly because I wasn't sure that I would like riding with clips. So nay on those, at least for now.

The Shimanos I bought are relatively stiff, though there is still a degree of flex in the sole that I feel when I'm pedaling particularly hard. Its also a little tough to get them as tight as I want with just the three velcro straps.

The shoes are pretty durable, and I've gotten them soaking wet several times without any lingering adverse effects. They're starting to show some wear after 7 months despite taking pretty good care of them and riding about once or twice a week over that span. I figure with regular use at that pace they'll last a year or two before they start to come apart, which is decent for an entry level shoe, but I'd prefer ones that last a little longer and resist wear better.

They're also not particularly light. I bought them knowing they weren't carbon soled or anything, and its not like they're bricks, but they're on the high end of the weight scale. I don't really think that effects my riding much, however, considering the average distance I ride is about 10-12 miles per ride, and a few ounces of shoe weight isn't going to be much of a factor.
I do have a difficult time clipping in to my pedals with these shoes fairly often, which may be more the fault of the pedal than the shoe. However the design of the cleat at the bottom of the shoe seems to pick up and hold mud and debris very easily, which is not ideal. I don't have a basis for comparison, but when I decide to shop for new shoes, I'll be looking for ones that won't retain debris as easily.

Didn't buy them here, but seems to be one of the better deals online.

No comments: