Wednesday, March 5, 2008

GR: Fox Flux Helmet

For gear review #2, I wanted to post some brief thoughts on another piece of important MTB equipment I've purchased, the helmet. When I began riding I had a $15 Costco helmet that actually worked pretty well. It had an adjustable dial in the back, and was reasonably comfortable.

After riding for a few months, however, I wanted to upgrade to something a little lighter, with more vents and additional adjustability. After doing some online research, I decided on the Fox Flux helmet.


I've been wearing it since just before Christmas, and so far I'm a fan. It is lightweight and has a bunch of vents. My head never gets hot when I'm wearing it, (though that may be because its been winter since I've owned it). It has two adjustable tabs in the back which allow me to dial in the size to fit my oddly shaped head. Also, it covers much more of the back of my head, which is important to me because I have a very soft dome, and want as much of it covered as possible.

One thing I did notice is that it traps sweat inside the helmet, which is kind of a good thing. I never get sweat running down my forehead or temples when I'm wearing the helmet while riding, but when I adjust it or reposition it while stopped, sweat sometimes comes pouring down my forehead. It's a little weird, but not bad. I think the padding inside is just very absorbent, so when I move the helmet it squeezes the pads against my head more, like wringing out a sponge.

I actually ordered a different color than the one you see in the picture above, but Performance shipped me this one, and I decided to keep it. Now I think it's cool looking, which is a bonus.

So once again I recommend a product that I purchased. Which is not and will not always be the case. But I figured I'd rather write about the stuff I like, at least at first, than the stuff I don't. So get this helmet if you're in the market. You won't be disappointed.

1 comment:

DougSully said...

I couldn't agree more. I bought a Flux about a year ago. It is still going strong and is by far the best fitting, best cooling helmet I have ever owned--hands down!!

It looks cool too, which don't hurt either ;-)