Friday, August 2, 2013

Giving it another go...

There was a time when this blog was updated regularly. A small but loyal readership seemed to like it. My motivation for starting it in the first place was that as a beginner mountainbiker I benefited greatly from internet resources like www.mountainbikebill.com and helpful posters on local message boards, and wanted to provide some additional info and commentary to others like myself.

Then, on New Years Eve 2010, this happened:

 

Our first son Caleb has been an amazing blessing to our family, and two and a half years later he brings me incredible joy each day. And as it should be, after Caleb was born my priorities shifted and my riding time (and overall free time in general) took a major hit as we adjusted to parenthood.

Over time I began riding a little more consistently, and several times in the last two years considered resurrecting the blog to chronicle my riding and provide some insight on how I've sought to balance parenting and staying active on the bike. Then a little over six months ago, this happened:

 

And then we were a family of four. But this time, I knew better what to expect. I set a goal to ride at least three times a week in 2013 in an effort to create some structure and maintain fitness even with the demands of a growing family. And with the support of my wife I met that goal for the first four months of the year or so. 

At that point I was seeing gains in my endurance and having fun on the bike again. Then in May the entire family got sick and spent the better part of two months fighting various illnesses. My riding frequency suffered as just getting through a day required all the endurance and energy I had. But since June we've been healthy and now that Drew is sleeping a little better and a routine has emerged, I'm back on the bike more regularly again.

So that's the short version of why I've been away from the blog for so long. For those that still check here occasionally, thanks and keep checking back, I promise some new and interesting content is on the way.

I have several posts that I'm working on at the moment, including how Strava has changed my riding (for better and worse) and unexpectedly led me to some new friendships.  I'll also be posting a chronicle of the conversion of my Ibis Mojo SL to a 650b wheelset, as well as some gear reviews.  Finally, I'll be talking about an exciting new cycling-specific endeavor that I'm taking on that I want to share.

So add me back to your bookmarks and keep checking in, and I hope you enjoy reading this blog again as much as I enjoy writing it.

-James

No comments: