Friday, August 9, 2013

Gear Review: 2013 Osprey Raptor 14

Even during my long hiatus from blogging I noted that the old posts that were still getting some comments and views were the gear reviews that I had done over time.  And since I personally rely heavily on user reviews on sites like Amazon and message boards like the MTBR forums when considering what gear to buy, I thought I'd post up a couple of thoughts on some of the equipment that I use.

Today I'll cover my 2013 Osprey Raptor 14 hydration pack.

My journey to find the perfect hydration pack has been a long and difficult one, and I had hoped that the newest iteration of Osprey's Raptor pack would be 'the one."  I like it a lot and have mostly good things to say about it, but several noticeable shortcomings keep me from recommending it.

My previous pack was also an Osprey 14.  I loved it and had used it for a little over a year when I tore the fabric on top during an OTB onto a bunch of jagged rocks in Idyllwild last fall.  Thanks to Osprey's lifetime warranty I was able to return it to REI, and subsequently learned that the new 2013 version was scheduled to be released in the coming weeks.  Several updated features of the 2013 model were appealing to me, including the zippered waist-belt pockets and a removable tool pouch, so I returned the torn pack and waited patiently for the release of the shiny new version.

I ordered and purchased the new version sight unseen in January, confident that I would like it in light of how much I loved the previous version.  That was a mistake.

On the good side, this version had many of the things I loved about the old Osprey 14.  I liked the lightweight material from which it was made.  I loved the magnetic bite valve holder and had never had a problem with that design leaking, which was a problem that had plagued me with packs from other manufacturers.  I really liked the newly designed Airscape back panel, which actually did keep my back cooler by allowing more airflow between me and the pack.  And the separate back pocket for the hydration bladder and the bladder itself's semi-rigid back were both carry-overs from the old version that were very important to me to maintain.

On the other hand, I was disappointed by the removable tool pouch.  There was nothing wrong with it, it was just unnecessary and pointless.  I already keep my tools and tiny bits in a mesh bag, so having a fabric-dense tool roll just added weight and bulk.  I tossed it into a parts bin and never used it in the pack.  (I did like that the new design added the zippered tool pocket to the bottom area of the pack, making it easier to quickly find and remove tools on the trail.)


Other changes to the design in the 2013 version proved to be significant drawbacks, however.  First, a change was made to the hydration bladder pouch, adding a longer zipper that traveled well down the length of the water hose.



Instead of keeping the old style which utilized a simple zipper pocket with a flap at the opening for the hose to emerge, the new version is far more cumbersome to open and only allows the water hose to drape over my right shoulder rather than either one.  (I always draped it over the right side anyway, but the new design lacks versatility and makes removing the bladder tougher overall which I don't appreciate.)  I don't understand the rationale behind the change as the old version worked great and the new style adds nothing in terms of function.  In fact its far worse.


Also, the main storage compartments were re-configured for 2013, and not for the better.  Instead of two large zippered storage areas, the 2013 Raptor has only one large compartment.  (It also maintains a smaller zippered valuables pocket for storing phones and keys and whatnot but is no longer fleece-lined so I wont store sunglasses in there anymore.)

The old second large zipper pocket was replaced by the worst feature of the new version: a small, vertical-zip "stash" style pocket along the front of the pack.  The new stash pocket is virtually worthless and dramatically decreases the storage capability of the pack.  The zippered opening is too small to allow clear access to the contents of the pocket, which itself is actually a decent size.  Its not really usable storage space, however, because access is so dramatically limited.  I find myself jamming snacks and energy bars into it because that's all that will fit.  But during a ride if I want to retrieve a particular food item I have to remove each item in the pocket to see what is.  Usually I just find myself playing "trail food roulette," reaching in to grab whatever I can through the slit and resigning myself to choking down whatever I end up with.


The remaining main storage compartment also feels smaller than either of the main compartments on the old version (which is counter-intuitive because now there is just one instead of two competing for space in the pack, but whatever.) I can still fit a fair amount of stuff in the single main compartment, including a pump, Adventure Medical Fast and Light first aid kit, spare tube, and another snack or two.  A jacket does not fit, even a small lightweight packable one, though I can and have stuffed a thin cycling windbreaker into the outside buckle pouch.

Finally, the new zipper pockets on the hip belt are an improvement over the useless neoprene pouches used in pre-2013 models.  The new hip pockets are still a little small, however, and only fit a bar and a gel.  I really wish they were large enough to accommodate my DROID Razr Maxx smartphone in its case, but alas it won't allow the zipper to close all the way when I tried.

So those are my thoughts.  In a side by side comparison, I actually really prefer the 2012 model Osprey Raptor 14 to the new 2013 version.  If I could find a 2012 on clearance somewhere I might pick it up, but so far haven't been able to do so.  So I'm sticking with the one I have for now.  Even with the flaws identified above I greatly prefer even the 2013 version over the Dakine, Camelback, and High Sierra packs I've used over the years.  And so I think that an analogy can be made here to Churchill's famous statement on democracy; the 2013 Raptor is the worst hydration pack available--except for all the others I've tried.

1 comment:

jwilli said...

James, just a couple of comments: I tried the 14 and returned it for the 10, which I think has a better layout without compromising space.

Personally I like the tool roll placement. It puts the heaviest items concentrated in the lowest point of the pack, which is where I want it. Also, since I'm not as organized as you probably are, it's easy to know where the tools are in a oxygen deprived state. Yes, the roll itself could be eliminated, but there is an advantage to laying out the roll right by the repair area with everything in easy reach. When done, there's a visual account of items in the slots, so you don't lose them.
I also like the hydration tube zipper. I prefer to remove the bladder/tube and pop it in the fridge after a ride, and this makes it easier.
I've come to the realization there is no one "perfect" pack for everyone. The 10 comes very close to meeting my needs.
Thanks for the review.