Sunday, November 30, 2008

RR: Local Ride w/Miner's Loop and Canyon Rim

I had a chance to work in a bonus ride this weekend this afternoon, which is always nice. After church and some household chores were done, Rach had some project she wanted to work on and I found myself with a free hour and decided to just do a local ride to get some bonus miles in.

I headed from home over to Black Mountain, intending to just do the Miner's Loop and head back. The trail conditions were absolutely amazing thanks to some light showers we had experienced a few days earlier, and I found myself cleaning sections up the clockwise side of Miner's that I never make. It felt awesome, and I was maintaining a pretty brisk pace through the entire first part of the ride.

I still did have some HAB on Miner's, but it was much, much less than usual. I even cleaned a fun, techy spot with several big rocks in the middle of the climb that I have always fumbled in the past. It also helped that I remembered to lock-out my front fork on most of the climb, which made some the the steep rock-ups much easier.

I bypassed the cut-over and decided to just ride the entire Miner's Loop clockwise. At the top of the loop I ran into a hiker and his three kids, one of whom was in a regular small-wheeled stroller. I said hello as I stopped to let them pass, and laughed as the Dad pushed the stroller up and over several large rocks in the trail.

After they passed, I continued the descent and managed to clean all of the switchbacks at the end of Miner's, something that usually feels more difficult than it was today. The trail conditions were simply amazing.

From the end of Miner's I headed over to Canyon Rim, where I cleaned the whole descent except for one usually easy spot that was not as packed down as I expected. It was right at the apex of a tight turn that looked solid enough as I approached, but when I rode over it and started to turn, the soil beneath my tire shifted and I was forced to dab in order to keep from sliding off the trail into the bush.

From there I headed down the crazy fire road and up the short climb near the pond, then down the hill near the houses and through the 4S trails to home. I noticed at the end of the ride that today's ride was a little longer than yesterday's, but right outside my back door and in an hour less time. The exploration yesterday was worth the drive, but the contrast was amusing considering the very similar mileage and climbing statistics.

It felt good to get in a final ride in November, and heading into the final month of 2008 I'm not sure how much I'll be able to ride, so the bonus miles were nice. Also, my fitness seems to be improving, particularly since I've been hitting the stationary bike for a half hour or so three times per week. It makes a big difference that I can really recognize on days like today.

It was a last minute local ride, and I forgot my camera, so no pictures unfortunately. But I did have the GPS, so here are the stats:

Total Distance: 9.60 miles
Total Time: 1:19:408
Ascent: 1539 feet
Average Speed: 7.3 mph
Top Speed: 35.7 mph
Bike: Intense Spider XVP
Map:

View Larger Map

No comments: