Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Spider Build Begins

Almost two months after I purchased my new Intense Spider XVP frame, I'm finally going to get it built up. I spent several weeks trying to decide whether to keep the Spider or purchase an Intense 5.5 instead. After a trip to see Alex at World Cycles for a fitting, it became clear that I was in-between sizes for the 5.5, and the Spider was the way to go.

After committing to the Spider, it was time to plan the build. I made an Excel spreadsheet that included every part I would need, and then made a "dream list" of parts I would purchase if funds permitted. I spent several weeks soliciting advice on the merits of particular parts and comparing prices online, and then formulated a plan.

I went to the shop two blocks from my work, a new outfit called Bike Bling. I spent quite a bit of time with the owner, Kerry, and we put together a package that worked for both of us. Essentially, he agreed to meet or beat every price I found online, and I elected to purchase everything from him and have him build both the bike and a custom wheelset. I dropped the bike off today, and should be able to pick it up on Friday or Saturday, just in time for the 2008 Cuyamaca Poker Ride I signed up for last month.

Its costing a ton of money, and I had some serious hesitation about spending that kind of cash on a bike, especially in this economy. But almost the entire budget has been paid for with supplemental income, and if I decide later to sell the Enduro, the entire amount should be covered.

So the next time I see it, my new Spider should be built up and ready to ride...

No comments: