Tuesday, June 3, 2008

RR: 4S/Black Mountain Loop

Rachel and I had dinner plans tonight that we had to cancel because Rach is still sick, so after going to vote and taking care of her for a while, I found myself with some free time around 7:00. I realized that with as much daylight as I had left, I might be able to fit in a quick version of my local ride. I love the summer and its long days...

I left from home and decided to just do my regular new local route. I rode through the 4S trails and up Carmel Valley Rd. to the Black Mountain trailhead. I made it to the top without even really getting tired, and rode over to Canyon Rim. I still had to HAB up both short steep uphills before the downhill of Canyon Rim, but that was par for the course. What frustrated me was that I had to dab once going down Canyon Rim, which I shouldn't have had to do.

I was so annoyed that I decided when I got to the bottom that I would loop it again, despite the waning daylight. I rode as quickly as I could back up to the top of the hill, and started over.

This time, I carried a little more speed into the section at the beginning of Canyon Rim where the short bridge is, and was actually able to ride up the first steep uphill section. I had never done that before, and was pretty pleased with myself.

I did still have to HAB the next uphill section, and don't foresee a time when I'll be able to ride that. Its steep and loose. But whatever.

For my second time down Canyon Rim, I was committed to not dabbing, and despite a close call, made it successfully. I was very glad at that point that I had decided to go back for a second lap, which erased the bad taste I had in my mouth from the first run.

I then rode back up the paved road to the Black Mountain trailhead, across the main trail for a bit and then downhill to the meadow. Tonight, I decided that rather than take the singletrack toward the pond and do the HAB up that section, I would take the closer trail that went uphill before the pond and connected with the pond trail near the houses. It was all ridable, and the climb was steady but not tough, and I liked the flow of that route better than my old alternative because I didn't have to do any walking. I'll probably alternate routes depending on my mood on a given day.

I made it home in less than an hour, even with the bonus loop down Canyon Rim. I hit the door at about 8:03 with some daylight left, which is good news for future late evening rides...

Here are the stats:

Total Distance: 7.76 miles
Total Time: 57:14
Ascent: 1,114 feet
Average Speed: 8.1 mph
Top Speed: 35.0 mph
Bike: Specialized Enduro Elite
Map:

View Larger Map

No comments: