Sunday, August 24, 2008

RR: 4S Ranch/Black Mountain Local Ride

Tonight I was able to finally get out on a ride after not having been on the bike in three weeks. That is by far the longest duration I have gone without riding since I began mountain biking in July of 2007, and I was feeling it.

The reasons for my not having ridden in three weeks were myriad, but mostly had to do with a ridiculous work schedule. From the middle of July to the middle of August, I have been averaging about 70 hours of work a week, and have even been working weekends.

So this afternoon, when faced with some free time finally, I pumped up my tires and headed out for my local 4S/Black Mountain local ride. It ended up being just a quick spin, and I actually felt pretty good overall. I had recently replaced my cranks with a set I bought from Sean (Blue Rat) for a bargain, and they worked great, even with my amateur mechanic work. What a difference it made not having my right crank wobbling all over the place during each pedal stroke.

I was a little fatigued as I spun up Carmel Valley Road, but stayed in the middle ring. The paved climb up to the Black Mountain trailhead was rougher than I had remembered, and it was at that point I began to feel the effects of my layoff.

As I hit the top of the hill at the parking lot, I was confronted with a pretty interesting scene. There were about thirty or so people milling around, drinking heavily and dressed like Catholic schoolgirls. Even the men. And they were almost all men. I saw a sign draped over someone's truck mentioning a "hash" event, and remembered something I had read on the internet a while back about these random running events that had no formal beginning or end, and consisted of crazy people running around dressed bizarrely. That was clearly what this was.

I didn't linger in the parking lot, and rode over to Canyon Rim as soon as I could. I once again made it up the first short steep climb without stopping, and then did my normal HAB up the rest of the way to the top.

I cleaned both of the most difficult downhill switchbacks, which was nice. I did have a small dab towards the bottom, when I ended up in a brutal sandy rut and almost went off trail. It would have been nice to clean the whole thing, especially after my layoff, but I felt pretty good anyway. The trail is a mess, and is sandy and rutted all over the place. I had thought there was another trailwork event planned for BM in September, but didn't see it on the SDMBA calendar. It needs it.

From the bottom of Canyon Rim I climbed back up the paved road, through the parking lot where the hashers were beginning to disperse, and down the rutted fire road and across the meadow toward the pond. I elected to take the closer trail that didn't involve any HAB, and made it without stopping.

After that I rode back across Carmel Valley Rd. and through the 4S trails to home. I made it home in under an hour, which was nice, but expected. In fact, back in early June, I did this same route with an extra trip down Canyon Rim in just two minutes longer, meaning my pace this time was a little off. It did feel good to be back on the bike, and I was excited that my crank replacement held up. And what a difference the new ones made.

So hopefully I'll be back in the swing of things before too long. I have a vacation coming up, and am hoping to get some serious riding in, maybe even out of town. We'll see...

Here are the Stats:

Total Distance: 7.23 miles
Total Time: 55:53
Ascent: 991 feet
Average Speed: 7.8 mph
Top Speed: 34.7 mph
Bike: Specialized Enduro Elite

No comments: